1. Begin by sitting with your spine erect, on a chair with your feet flat on the floor and your arms relaxed and your hands resting on your thighs, palms up. If you prefer a yoga lotus position, do that. Your chin is relaxed and parallel to the floor. This is to keep your chin from slowly sinking toward your chest and you falling asleep.
2. Mentally picture God or any Great Saint, at the Spiritual Eye. The Spiritual Eye is located at the point between your eyebrows. Gently close your eyes and lift your gaze to this position. When you are sleeping your gaze is downward, when you are viewing the exterior world your gaze is straight ahead, and when you want to contact God in meditation your gaze is at the Spiritual Eye. Depending on your spiritual advancement throughout your many reincarnations you may see the Spiritual Eye or you may see only darkness at present. It doesn't matter because you are now advancing further toward your goal. If you choose to mentally repeat a matra, a short sentence, such as God Is Love, instead of a picture, do so. But always keep your vision, gently, at the Spiritual Eye.
3. Concentrate upon this continuously and you will feel yourself going deeper and deeper into the "silence". Your conditioned mind will want to distract you from this peace and joy. Plans and people and places and jobs to complete, will all pop into your mind. That's normal. But now it is important that you begin to take control of your own mind. You are becoming aware who wants to be in charge of your thoughts and your life. But you know without question that YOU are in charge and you calmly return your thoughts to God. The calmer and relaxed you are in returning to your meditation, the better. It is important there is no struggle or fuss in this process. Before long your focus will be only upon your meditation.
4. In order to go deeper into the deep peace and joy, you need to relax, really relax. Before meditation you may want to relax your body parts individually, starting at the toes and working your way up the body. Relaxation is a key.
5. Begin by meditating every morning and every night. Upon awaking in the morning and just before going to bed at night is best. Duration of meditation in the beginning may be 10 to 15 minutes, or what is comfortable for you. Ultimately, you will desire much longer periods of the Peace and Joy and prefer it to the usual distractions in life. You will find your love of life and the loves of your life will greatly change and you will be so greatful for this added benefit. Peace and Joy are contagious, everyone will notice your change and want to feel this Joy also. Who wouldn't?